If you're struggling with re-authenticating your Instagram business profile on our platform, please carefully follow the steps below in order to work through this issue!
In order to re-authenticate, you'll need to be an Admin/Editor of have full rights to the Facebook page linked to your Instagram business profile. Find some more useful article links about this at the end of the article.
IMPORTANT: If you are an Admin of your Facebook Business Manager, unfortunately, this does not mean you automatically have the correct permissions to the Business Page connected to your Instagram Business Profile. It is always best to have full rights both on the Facebook page and on Facebook Business Manager for the Facebook page.
*The steps in this article will take 7-10 minutes to complete*
Level one troubleshooting
- Please carefully follow the steps detailed in this article to check if you have the correct role or permissions to the Facebook page that should be connected to your Instagram business profile. If these steps confirm that you are listed as an Admin/Editor, proceed to the next step.
- Next, please check that the Facebook profile which is connected to your Iconosquare account is the profile through which you have the role or full permissions to the Facebook page linked to the connected IG business profile, as mentioned above. You can check this in the Data access section. Check where it says Current Facebook profile connected (eg. the connected profile is Pamela Rubio in the example below). If you're connected with the wrong Facebook profile, click Logout to connect with the correct Facebook profile, then please try to re-authenticate again.
Note: by Facebook profile, we are referring to your personal profile and not the Facebook page.
- Once you've confirmed that the correct Facebook profile is connected to your Iconosquare account, please verify that your Instagram profile is linked to the Facebook page you have the rights to. Check this article for more information on how to do this.
If you're unable to select the correct page because Instagram is showing an error message, it might mean that you're not an Admin of the Facebook page in Facebook Business Manager. In this case, please ask someone who is an Admin of the page in Facebook Business Manager to try the step above, ensuring they're logged into their own Facebook account on the mobile device which you're using. Or, you will need to be added as an Admin of the page in Business Manager, and you can then try the above step again.
If you're then able to select the page, great! Go ahead and try to add your IG profile to Iconosquare again, if not please continue with Level 2 Troubleshooting below.
Level two troubleshoorting
If you've tried the steps above, which confirm you have the correct role or permissions to the Facebook page, and that the Facebook page is linked correctly within the Instagram app, then it's possible that you may have used Iconosquare before and still have some 'old' permissions enabled on your Facebook. Here's how to check, and remove them if necessary:
- Remove Iconosquare's permissions from Facebook by clicking on this link to access your Facebook Business Integrations (https://www.facebook.com/settings?tab=business_tools). On this page, search or scroll to find ICONOSQUARE.
- Select Iconosquare, then click "Remove".
- You will then need to confirm this - but do not click on the checkbox asking if you wish to "delete all posts, photos and videos", as shown below:
(Don't worry about the message that says 'This may delete your Iconosquare account and activity'. This is an automated message from Facebook that we are working to have changed - your account will NOT be deleted, and this process will NOT have any effect on your stats. This is simply to refresh the permissions we have for your account.)
- Re-authorize permissions by going to the Social Profiles section on Iconosquare, click on the Data access tab, and then click on "Refresh access". This will redirect you to Facebook - please do not customize the permissions. (OR, if you’re seeing the new Facebook permissions, please select ALL the Instagram accounts/businesses/Facebook Pages, even those you currently don't want to monitor on your Iconosquare account).
Once you've done that, you'll be redirected back to Iconosquare - please try to re-authenticate your social profile again. If it's now listed, great! If not, let's go ahead and continue with Level 3 troubleshooting below.
Level three troubleshooting
- If on the new Facebook page experience, change to the Facebook page profile view. Click on Manage on your Facebook Business Page.
- Scroll down on the left-hand menu and click on Linked accounts. Select Instagram.
- You should see the option Disconnect Account. Click here, or if no Instagram business profile is listed, proceed to the next step.
- Click Log in and log into the Instagram Business Profile associated with this Facebook Business Page (they should be the same as the ones that are linked within your Instagram app).
- Try to re-authenticate your Instagram Business Profile again on Iconosquare.
Level four troubleshooting
IMPORTANT NOTE: This step will cause you to lose any previously gathered Insights data on Instagram. However, if you already have an Iconosquare account, any data you have gathered will still be available here.
If the steps detailed in Levels 1-3 prove to be unsuccessful, we have discovered that the most effective solution is to convert your Instagram business profile back to a personal profile, and then re-convert back to a business profile again.
- Open the Instagram app on your iOS on Android phone.
- Click on your profile.
- Click on the 3 horizontal lines at the top right of the screen
- Select Settings, followed by Account, then Switch account type and finally click on Switch to Personal Account.
You can then re-convert back to a business profile by following the steps detailed in this article. Once you have reverted back to a business profile, try to re-authenticate on Iconosquare again.
Other useful articles:
How can I check if I am the Admin (or Editor) of a Facebook page?
How to link your Instagram profile to a Facebook page
If you're unsure about anything mentioned in this article, please send an e-mail to email@example.com and provide as much information as you can as to where you’re getting stuck with the above steps.
Article is closed for comments.